January 29, 2013

Food Creations

Now that I'm in grad school and have a little more time on my hands (but not really...) I am super enjoying learning to cook and/or experimenting in the kitchen.

As far as cooking is concerned, Pinterest has been my best friend and worst enemy. Whyyyy recipe, do you look so good but in reality you suck?!

You might remember a few weeks back when I wrote about my super exciting crock pot recipies that I found via Pinterest. Not so good. Super bummer- I was really excited about them!

*Sidenote- the Italian chicken was GREAT because I realized that these work much better when baked in the oven instead of in a crock pot with added water. In the crock pot all the flavor seems to cook out! Weird- maybe this would be different if you add broth instead of just water. Food for thought.

Today I thought I would introduce my own recipe. Well.....Can you call it a recipe when you made it up as you went? Anywho- this is what rescued my not-so-great chicken fajita crock pot recipe:




I didn't think of taking those fancy step-by-step photos until I tasted this soup and thought "Oh my goodness this is so easy/I'm a genius/I should blog about this!" So, a final product photo is all you get!

I call it: Tortilla Soup. (Original, right?)

But really, thats all it is! I had the leftover chicken that had some onions/tomatoes/peppers and I needed some way to not waste them.

Steps:
1) Chicken broth- I used the (sodium rich, not so good for you) Knorr bouillon cube boiled in two cups of water.
2) Dump in leftover chicken- So eloquent, I'm aware.
3) Dump in leftover rice- Mine just so happened to be of the "spanish" variety.
4) Added several large spoonfuls of rinsed (canned) blackbeans- My measurements are SO spot on, like I said, made this up as I went!
5) Added several drained spoonfuls of corn.
6) Done!

Product- Deliciousness!

I served it up with a light sprinkle of mozzarella, crunched up tortilla chips, and cubed avocado!

Now- get to screwing up some homemade chicken fajitas so you can make this delicious soup!

-PB

 *Sidenote again: My Pinterest YUM board (other than having way to many pins) contains my comments on the recipies I have actually tried, generally with the date, and what I would do to modify the recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I've never thought to add avocado to soup before. Funny, I just finished reading another blog posts about Pinterest recipe fails. Maybe someone is out there creating bad recipes as a joke to see who will fall for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tortilla soup! Glad it turned out well! I've found a ton of recipes on Pinterest and I pin them but never make them. Maybe I should start trying to make one every week or so. Then I'd know which ones are keepers and which aren't.

    ReplyDelete